Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Special boy.













I'm participating in a new (to me) Meme today.



Jane over at Adoption of Jane has a meme about special needs kids.



Well, I don't know if you know or not, but my Brainiac is one of those.







When he was 5 we recieved a triple diagnosis of ADHD, OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and GAD (General Anxiety Disorder)


He is currently only taking a medication for ADHD but it seems to help slightly with his other symptoms.


Like any family we have our good days and our bad days.


When we recieved his diagnosis, I realized we had to change our entire parenting method with him.


For example, before his dx, I dreaded going to the store with him because he couldn't keep his hands off stuff. When we took him to the dr for the first time, we were given stacks (I kid you not) of paperwork, so I was forced to watch closer to exactly what he was doing in the stores so that I could record it. What I found was that he was actually FIXING things. He was organizing, and cleaning up the ailes.




Once I realized this, I had to become OK with allowing him to do his thing. I had to break out of that "stop touching things" mode, and let myself realize that he is not doing any harm, and its helping him cope with the chaos that is his world.




I have to be ok with other parents looking at me like I'm a bad mom for letting him touch things.




I have to be ok with store clerks noticing what he is doing (especially in Bath and Body works *grin*) and making a big (positive) deal about it.




I have to be ok.








Because he is.










So there ya have it. A little bit about my special needs child. I look forward to sharing more of him with you. :)
PS: Please forgive my strange format and clumpy picture placement. I wrote this post on Blogger and not Windows Live Writer like I normally do. What was I thinking?



2 comments:

MoonNStarMommy on March 28, 2010 at 9:15 AM said...

(if you go in your settings and change it to the updated editor, it's MUCH easier) ...

YAY, so glad you joined in.... yeah sometimes it's hard to just let them go and do what they need to because it's just who they are, and realize that as long as they aren't hurting anyone or destroying anything, it's okay. {{HUGS}}

Adoption of Jane on March 28, 2010 at 9:52 AM said...

Glad to see you at Weekend Warriors! It is new so i appreciate you gals helping me jump it off. Because i truly believe in it.

Okay Brainiac is absolutely Stunningly gorgeous! As are all your kids (i'm sure i can't be the first to tell you that). Thank you for sharing his story i am learning about different diagnosis every weekend and its so interesting. I would have never thought he was cleaning up the store... can he come to my house?

He sounds like an awesome kid, can't wait to get to know him better... i grabbed your button!

Post a Comment

I love comments. Comments give me that fuzzy feeling inside! Leave one...even if just to say hi!