Friday, December 18, 2009

What’s in a name?

I love names. Names were my favorite part of my pregnancies. If there was a job, naming babies, it would be my dream job. Casanova is ‘fixed’ yet still I know what I would name any future babies.

I had my rules when naming babies too. Neither of the names could start with the first letter of our last name. I also poured over variations of the names we chose making sure that if someone shortened it or created a nickname, I could live with it. But I digress, I was a bit….anal, when it came to naming our children.

This is probably because I don’t like my given name. My first name is a nickname. I spent my entire life correcting people, and explaining that no, my name really is.  I’ve even gotten into arguments with doctors offices about it. For that matter, people who I have known for YEARS act surprised when they find out that my name, really is my name.

Now my middle name- I LOVE. I LOVE my middle name. Its pretty, its mature, it looks nice in writing. I think I was about 10 when I asked my parents the first time to allow me to go by my middle name. They refused saying “That’s not what we named you.” I never understood it- two of my brothers go by their middle names, I still don’t see what the difference is.

But for the past 18 years I have toyed with the idea, gone back and forth. But recently I decided to take the plunge. I’m an adult now, so I can decide. We’re also fairly new to our geographical area. I’m not asking people I have known for years to change what they call me- but to anyone new I meet now, I introduce myself, “Hi! I’m Lynette”

l

JoJo bought this for me this year to symbolize my first year of being me.

I love it! Its glitzy, and glam.

I’m happy with my choice.

1 comments:

{Kimber} on February 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM said...

wait, wait, WAIT!!!!! you don't tell us what your "given" first nickname name is!! come on!!!! I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

Post a Comment

I love comments. Comments give me that fuzzy feeling inside! Leave one...even if just to say hi!